JOB ANNOUNCEMENT – CANVASS OPERATIONS MANAGER POSITION
Jolt Action 501c4
Jolt is a non-profit organization that increases the civic participation of Latinos in Texas to build a stronger democracy and ensure that everyone’s voice is heard. Jolt knows that our democracy works best when everyone gets a seat at the table. That’s why Jolt builds the leadership capacity of millennial Latinos to mobilize their peers to action. Jolt lifts up the voices of Latino millennials to tell their own stories through creative acts of resistance, like the Migration is Sweet! selfie station, Poderosa mural, and Quinceanera at the Capitol, which collectively reached over 50 million Americans.
Jolt believes that Texas is poised for change, with a growing and disaffected Latino population. Today, 1 in 3 eligible voters in Texas is Latino and projections indicate that by 2030, Latinos will make up the majority of the state’s population. But demographics alone aren’t destiny. Winning change requires building a homegrown movement and a smart, focused, long-term strategy that can deliver equality and power to those who are most excluded and often first impacted.
Jolt was founded in November 2016 by Cristina Tzintzun, a nationally recognized civil rights leader. Cristina was named “Hero of the New South” by Southern Living Magazine, and her work has been featured on NPR, Vogue, The New York Times, MTV, USA Today, Univision, MSNBC’s Up Late with Alec Baldwin, among others. The organization entered a new phase in August 2019, when Antonio Arellano took over as Interim Executive Director. Jolt is a young organization with big dreams about what is possible in Texas. Our vision has made national headlines and has spurred increased investment into our work- which is why we are hiring talented people to join our growing team.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Jolt Action is seeking a well-organized and goal-orientated Canvass Operations Manager for the 2020 cycle. In 2020, Jolt will run an extensive field program to turn out millennial Latinos in the presidential election. The Canvass Operations Manager will manage the day-to-day operations of the paid canvass team. The Canvass Operations Manager is expected to ensure that our canvass team achieves the benchmarks and execute Jolt Action’s electoral campaign plan. The Canvass Operations Manager is expected to act with appropriate discretion and respect for confidentiality requirements.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Build a team of 11-13 canvassers by recruiting from within the local community. Identify and interview prospective staff and help make hiring decisions.
- Training the basics of canvassing and work with your staff in individual and group settings to cultivate a welcoming and motivating atmosphere.
- Work with Jolt admin to ensure all hiring paperwork is collected and tracking the hours of the canvass team.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the paid canvas team including cutting turf and creating walk packets for the canvass team.
- Support tracking organizational benchmarks, course-correcting benchmarks, and the development of progress reports.
- Work with partner organizations using the voter file and other technologies to support and enhance contact programs.
- Ability to manage several tasks/projects concurrently and prioritize work effectively by making and meeting team goals.
- Strong management skills
- Proficiency in Google Sheets and Google Docs.
- Excellent organizational, time-management, oral and written communications skills
- Strong VAN (Voter Activation Network) skills.
- Must be a self-starter; willing to work long, irregular hours and weekends.
- Ideal candidates will have one to three years of experience in progressive political campaigns or similar organizations. Ideal candidates will be familiar with paid canvass operations.
- Candidates should have a diplomatic, professional approach to problem-solving
- Experience working with underrepresented and/or diverse communities preferred
- Bilingual (English and Spanish) preferred
LOCATION AND LENGTH OF EMPLOYMENT
Three positions available and based in Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio, Texas. The Canvass Operations Managers report to the Civic Engagement Director. Please note this is a seasonal position schedule to commence September 1, 2020 through November 5, 2020.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and the job title in the subject line. Only applicants that send their resumes to this email will be considered. Position is open until filled.
Jolt Action 501(c)4 is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status.