Jolt is a non-profit organization that increases the civic participation of Latinos in Texas to build a stronger democracy and ensure that everyone’s voice is heard. Jolt knows that our democracy works best when everyone gets a seat at the table. That’s why Jolt builds the leadership capacity of millennial Latinos to mobilize their peers to action. Jolt lifts up the voices of Latino millennials to tell their own stories through creative acts of resistance, like the Migration is Sweet! selfie station, Poderosa mural, and Quinceanera at the Capitol, which collectively reached over 50 million Americans.
Jolt believes that Texas is poised for change, with a growing and disaffected Latino population. Today, 1 in 3 eligible voters in Texas is Latino and projections indicate that by 2030, Latinos will make up the majority of the state’s population. But demographics alone aren’t destiny. Winning change requires building a homegrown movement and a smart, focused, long-term strategy that can deliver equality and power to those who are most excluded and often first impacted.
Jolt was founded in November 2016 by Cristina Tzintzun, a nationally recognized civil rights leader. Cristina was named “Hero of the New South” by Southern Living Magazine, and her work has been featured on NPR, Vogue, The New York Times, MTV, USA Today, Univision, MSNBC’s Up Late with Alec Baldwin, among others. The organization entered a new phase in April 2021, when Gloria Gonzales-Dholakia took over as Executive Director. Jolt is a young organization with big dreams about what is possible in Texas. Our vision has made national headlines and has spurred increased investment into our work- which is why we are hiring talented people to join our growing team.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Jolt seeks a Digital Content Specialist to create, manage and grow Jolt’s existing social media channels and engage Jolt’s audience to take action in real life. The specialist will be responsible for managing Jolt’s digital platforms, including its social media channels, email and website, to reach new audiences and build the power of young Latinos in Texas.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Manage Jolt’s digital platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to grow our audience and maintain robust engagement with followers.
- Produce and disseminate multimedia content for publicity, including Jolt newsletters, custom graphics, videos and social media campaigns, following Jolt’s brand guidelines.
- Monitor the news and quickly draft responses to breaking news that’s relevant to Jolt’s audience.
- Work with the Multi-Media Specialist to measure each channel and campaign’s successes, creating analytics reports and advising on ways to improve reach and engagement on social media platforms.
- Stay abreast of industry trends and best practices and advise on ways Jolt’s channels can adopt these practices and capitalize on best practices, as needed.
- Collaborate with the MultiMedia Specialist and Artists in Residence to execute the Jolt vision
- Capture and share content of actions and demonstrations happening locally for publications, presentations, and/or display
- Build relationships with artists and influencers in Texas to grow Jolt’s brand.
- Coordinate with the Organizers to create and share content on Jolt’s social media channels
- Available via telephone or email during an emergency.
- Work flexible hours; evening and/or weekend work required
- Perform other duties as assigned
PERSONAL SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree; degree in Marketing, Communications, Journalism, English or other related fields preferred
- At least 1 year of relevant digital content creation experience
- Ability to work irregular hours and travel (many times in the evenings and weekends)
- Experience or interest in working with underrepresented and/or diverse communities.
- The Digital Content Specialist should demonstrate competence in the following:
- Writing and editing: Strong writing skills are a must, as well as the ability to create and curate appealing visual elements, with a strong attention to detail
- Creativity: Must be able to think outside the box to provide innovative and fresh ideas
- Adaptability: Demonstrate a willingness to be flexible, versatile and tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining a high standard of excellence
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices, and ensure that own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough, professional and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness
- Think Strategically: Assesses options and actions based on trends and conditions in the environment, and the vision and values of the organization
- Experience with Canva, Photoshop, and Creator Studio.
- Proficiency in Google Suites, Email and WordPress
- Experience in advocacy organizations or political campaigns
This position is based in Austin, Dallas, or Houston, TX and reports to the Communications Director. Jolt is accepting and reviewing resumes on a rolling basis.
This position pays $35,000 – $45,000 per year depending on experience. Jolt’s benefit package includes full employer-covered health care, employer match retirement contribution up to 2%, employer-provided life insurance policy, monthly cell phone reimbursement, and 23 paid days off, plus additional benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your resume and a cover explaining your qualifications and interest in the position to email@example.com with your name and the job title in the subject line. Position is open until filled.
Jolt Initiative 501(c)3 and Jolt Action 501(c)4 are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status.