Jolt harnesses the power of Latino culture to empower young Latinos and transform Texas
We believe in the power of young Latinos to transform Texas. Together we are building a democracy in which the voices and values of our diverse state are represented.
We believe young Latinos will transform Texas through the power of their vote. We are harnessing the brilliance of our community and culture to build a generation of leaders that matches the urgency of our time.
What We Strive For
Jolt gives Latinos the power to make a change, so we can have a say in how Texas is run. There are almost 11 million Latinos in Texas. Together, we have the power to transform our state.
Jolt brings together Latinos from across Texas to win on the issues that matter. Jolt doesn’t stand for anyone party or politician — it stands for the Latino community, families, and parents who worked hard to give their children everything they didn’t have.
Jolt organizes our community to determine what happens on school boards, in the state legislature, at the Governor’s mansion, and all the way to Congress and White House to make sure our government works best for ordinary people. We accomplish this through:
TELLING OUR STORIES
Jolt brings artists and musicians together to lift up issues and voices in the Latino community, and share stories of how everyday people in the community are coming together to build a stronger democracy.
Jolt members endorse candidates up and down the ballot to determine who gets elected and conduct year-round issue advocacy to engage voters on the issues that matter most to them.
Jolt’s Levantate Leadership Institute provides training to Latino youth on public speaking, advocacy, digital organizing and mobilization so that they can be effective leaders for their community.
COMMUNITY AND STUDENT ORGANIZING
Jolt helps young people form student chapters at high schools and college campuses to organize around the issues that matter to them and to register their peers to vote.
About the Opportunity
Jolt seeks a Digital Content Specialist to create, manage and grow Jolt’s existing social media channels and engage Jolt’s audience to take action in real life. The specialist will be responsible for managing Jolt’s digital platforms, including its social media channels, email and website, to reach new audiences and build the power of young Latinos in Texas.
Key Priorities & Responsibilities
- Manage Jolt’s digital platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to grow our audience and maintain robust engagement with followers.
- Write engaging copy for all social media platforms and create corresponding graphics, videos and visuals, as well as graphics for other Jolt campaigns, following Jolt’s brand guidelines.
- Monitor the news and quickly draft responses to breaking news that’s relevant to Jolt’s audience.
- Work with the Digital Media Manager to measure each channel and campaign’s successes, creating analytics reports and advising on ways to improve reach and engagement on social media platforms.
- Stay abreast of industry trends and best practices and advise on ways Jolt’s channels can adopt these practices and capitalize on best practices, as needed.
- Liaise with social media coordinators from each Jolt Student Chapter to ensure ample coverage of their on-campus activities and events.
- Build relationships with artists and influencers in Texas to grow Jolt’s brand.
- Manage Jolt’s email campaigns to expand the list, deliver relevant content, and track metrics.
- Update Jolt’s websites on a regular basis to ensure content is up-to-date.
Skills & Abilities
The Digital Content Specialist should demonstrate competence in some or all of the following:
- Writing and editing: Strong writing skills are a must, as well as the ability to create and curate appealing visual elements, with strong attention to detail
- Creativity: Must be able to think outside the box to provide innovative and fresh ideas
- Adaptability: Demonstrate a willingness to be flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices, and ensure that own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough, professional and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness
- Think Strategically: Assesses options and actions based on trends and conditions in the environment, and the vision and values of the organization
- Bachelor’s Degree; degree in Marketing, Communications, Journalism, English or other related fields preferred
- At least 1 year of relevant digital content creation experience
- Ability to work irregular hours and travel (many times in the evenings and weekends)
- Experience or interest in working with underrepresented and/or diverse communities.
- Experience with Canva, Photoshop, and Creator Studio.
- Proficiency in Google Suites, E-mail and WordPress
- Experience in advocacy organizations or political campaigns
This position may be based in Austin or Dallas, Texas.
Salary commensurate with education and experience. Jolt’s benefits package includes full employer-covered health care, employer match retirement contribution up to 2%, employer-provided life insurance policy, monthly cell phone reimbursement, and 23 paid days off, plus additional benefits.
Please submit your cover letter, resume and a relevant writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, please write “Jolt Digital Content Specialist.”
Jolt Initiative 501(c)3 and Jolt Action 501(c)4 are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.