JOB ANNOUNCEMENT MEMBERSHIP COORDINATOR
Jolt Initiative 501c3 & Jolt Action 501c4
Jolt is a non-profit organization that increases the civic participation of Latinos in Texas to build a stronger democracy and ensure that everyone’s voice is heard. Jolt knows that our democracy works best when everyone gets a seat at the table. That’s why Jolt builds the leadership capacity of millennial Latinos to mobilize their peers to action. Jolt lifts up the voices of Latino millennials to tell their own stories through creative acts of resistance, like the Migration is Sweet! selfie station, Poderosa mural, and Quinceanera at the Capitol, which collectively reached over 50 million Americans.
Jolt believes that Texas is poised for change, with a growing and disaffected Latino population. Today, 1 in 3 eligible voters in Texas is Latino and projections indicate that by 2030, Latinos will make up the majority of the state’s population. But demographics alone aren’t destiny. Winning change requires building a homegrown movement and a smart, focused, long-term strategy that can deliver equality and power to those who are most excluded and often first impacted.
Jolt was founded in November 2016 by Cristina Tzintzun, a nationally recognized civil rights leader. Cristina was named “Hero of the New South” by Southern Living Magazine, and her work has been featured on NPR, Vogue, The New York Times, MTV, USA Today, Univision, MSNBC’s Up Late with Alec Baldwin, among others. Jolt is a young organization with big dreams about what is possible in Texas. Our vision has made national headlines and has spurred increased investment into our work- which is why we are hiring talented people to join our growing team.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
The Membership Coordinator performs some or all of the following:
- Assist in program and campaign design to ensure proper integration across the organization and it priorities
- Assist in organizing staff and campaigns to ensure proper implementation, evaluation and improvement
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the electoral and Latino community
- Represent the organization at community activities to enhance the organization’s community profile
- Establish good working relationships with community partners to help achieve the goals of the organization
- Assist in the development and management of membership recruitment, development and retention systems
- Assist with voter registration and achieving voter registration goals
- Assist with other duties assigned as necessary
PERSONAL SKILLS & CHARACTERISTICS
The Membership Coordinator should demonstrate competence in some or all of the following:
- Adaptability: Demonstrate a willingness to be flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices, and ensure that own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness
- Think Strategically: Assesses options and actions based on trends and conditions in the environment, and the vision and values of the organization
- High School Diploma
- Reliable Transportation, car
- Knowledge of leadership and management principles as they relate to non-profit/progressive organizations
- Experience with data management
- Word processing, E-mail and Internet
- Ability to work irregular hours and travel (many times in the evenings and weekends)
- Speak, write, and read Spanish fluently a plus
- Voter registration experience a plus
- Experience working with communities of color and diverse communities
- Passion and dedication to fight for progressive values and a commitment to social justice
- Must be outgoing, organized and articulate
REPORTS TO & LOCATION
This position reports to the Lead Organizer, it is preferred that the Organizer reside in Houston, Texas.
To apply please send resume to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.