JOB ANNOUNCEMENT PROGRAM DIRECTOR
Jolt Initiative 501c3 & Jolt Action 501c4
Jolt is a non-profit organization that increases the civic participation of Latinos in Texas to build a stronger democracy and ensure that everyone’s voice is heard. Jolt knows that our democracy works best when everyone gets a seat at the table. That’s why Jolt builds the leadership capacity of millennial Latinos to mobilize their peers to action. Jolt lifts up the voices of Latino millennials to tell their own stories through creative acts of resistance, like the Migration is Sweet! selfie station, Poderosa mural, and Quinceanera at the Capitol, which collectively reached over 50 million Americans.
Jolt believes that Texas is poised for change, with a growing and disaffected Latino population. Today, 1 in 3 eligible voters in Texas is Latino and projections indicate that by 2030, Latinos will make up the majority of the state’s population. But demographics alone aren’t destiny. Winning change requires building a homegrown movement and a smart, focused, long-term strategy that can deliver equality and power to those who are most excluded and often first impacted.
Jolt was founded in November 2016 by Cristina Tzintzun, a nationally recognized civil rights leader. Cristina was named “Hero of the New South” by Southern Living Magazine, and her work has been featured on NPR, Vogue, The New York Times, MTV, USA Today, Univision, MSNBC’s Up Late with Alec Baldwin, among others. Jolt is a young organization with big dreams about what is possible in Texas. Our vision has made national headlines and has spurred increased investment into our work- which is why we are hiring talented people to join our growing team.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Jolt is seeking a dynamic and well-organized leader who excels in a fast-paced and diverse environment. The Program Director will be charged with developing, managing, and training Jolt’s statewide team of organizers and chapter leaders to register/mobilize voters, win on its issue agenda, and lift up the story and power of young Latinos in Texas. The Program Director will oversee a metrics and data driven organizing department to mobilize young people of color to scale in Texas.
Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Oversee development and management of the Organizing department to ensure alignment in a growing organization
- Support the recruitment, hiring, on-boarding, and retention of organizing staff across Texas
- Develop and manage leadership pipeline for organizers and leaders across Texas
- Manage organizing team meetings and strategic planning to ensure a highly motivated and metrics driven team
- Modify and implement Jolt’s chapter organizing model to ensure optimum efficiency and impact
- Manage campaigns, execution of high level statewide mobilizations/actions, and work in partnership with Jolt’s communications and policy staff to win on our issue agenda
- Enhance and manage evaluation systems to ensure quality work outputs
- Work collaboratively with senior staff team to craft and manage campaigns, goals, and modify plans as necessary
- 4+ years of experience in civic engagement, campaigns and/or issue advocacy that includes grassroots community organizing and approaches to power-building in and outside of an electoral context
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills; successful at motivating staff to meet recruitment and voter contact goals
- Knowledge of the political and progressive landscape in Texas
- Familiarity with campaign and member organizing tools including VAN, in-person and online strategies
- Passion, energy, and drive for the Jolt mission
- Effective communicator written and spoken
- Collect, synthesize, and process information quickly and with accuracy
- Highly organized, with outstanding attention to detail
- Ability to travel within state and work irregular hours, including nights and weekends when necessary
- Adaptability: Demonstrates a willingness to be flexible, versatile in a fast-pace working environment
- Behave Ethically: Understands ethical behavior and business practices, and ensure that their own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization
- Build Relationships: Establishes and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization
- Foster Teamwork: Works cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness
- Think Strategically: Assesses options and actions based on trends and conditions in the environment, and the vision and values of the organization
REPORTS TO & LOCATION
This full-time position reports to the Deputy Director and will be based out of Dallas or Houston.
Salary commensurate with education and experience. Competitive benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and the job title in the subject line.