Everything’s bigger in Texas, including the opportunity to bring together millions of Latinos to fight for equality and economic justice. Almost 10.8 million Latinos, making up 40 percent of the total population, reside in Texas. Despite their numbers Latino voices are ignored by the state’s political leadership and have not shared in the state’s prosperity. Today, 60 percent of Latino workers in Texas make less than $15 an hour; the median household income for Latinos is just $37,000, compared to $64,000 for whites; and 27 percent of Latinos don’t have healthcare — the highest rate for any ethnic group in the state.
Today, 1 in 3 eligible voters in the state is Latino, and projections indicate that by 2030 Latinos will make up the majority of the state’s population. With this shift comes the opportunity to organize millions of Latinos to fight for lasting change, but change doesn’t come easy. Although Latino voters make up a large share of the voting population and their numbers will continue to grow, eligible Latinos are also less likely to vote than other Americans. That’s where Jolt comes in.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Promoting Jolt’s message by writing drafts for external/internal communications, including press releases, email marketing, and social media/website copy
- Researching relevant data for talking points, speeches, op-eds, and other communications
- Researching and maintaining media contact lists
- Monitoring and analyzing daily media coverage
- Supporting special projects and events
- Excellent writing, researching, and editing skills
- Avid user of the internet, social media, and Google Drive
- Ability to meet deadlines and balance multiple priorities
- Attention to detail
- Must be available 20-40 hours per week
- Experience in online fundraising is a plus
- Self-motivated, fast, independent learner
REPORTS TO & LOCATION
This position reports directly to the Communications Director. It is preferred that the Communications Intern reside in Texas, though other locations may be considered.
To apply please send your resume with your name and the position in the subject line to email@example.com.