JOB ANNOUNCEMENT ORGANIZING DIRECTOR
Jolt Initiative 501c3 & Jolt Action 501c4
Jolt Initiative is a 501c3 non-profit organization that increases the civic participation of Latinos in Texas to build a stronger democracy and ensure that everyone’s voice is heard. Jolt Action is a 501c4 non-profit organization that builds the political power and influence of Latinos in our democracy. Jolt knows that our democracy works best when everyone gets a seat at the table. That’s why Jolt builds the leadership capacity of millennial Latinos to mobilize their peers to action. Jolt lifts up the voices of Latino millennials to tell their own stories through creative acts of resistance, like the Migration is Sweet! selfie station, Poderosa mural, and Quinceanera at the Capitol, which collectively reached over 50 million Americans.
Jolt believes that Texas is poised for change, with a growing and disaffected Latino population. Today, 1 in 3 eligible voters in Texas is Latino and projections indicate that by 2030, Latinos will make up the majority of the state’s population. But demographics alone aren’t destiny. Winning change requires building a homegrown movement and a smart, focused, long-term strategy that can deliver equality and power to those who are most excluded and often first impacted.
Jolt was founded in November 2016 by Cristina Tzintzun, a nationally recognized civil rights leader. Cristina was named “Hero of the New South” by Southern Living Magazine, and her work has been featured on NPR, Vogue, The New York Times, MTV, USA Today, Univision, MSNBC’s Up Late with Alec Baldwin, among others. Jolt is a young organization with big dreams about what is possible in Texas. Our vision has made national headlines and has spurred increased investment into our work- which is why we are hiring talented people to join our growing team.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Jolt is seeking a dynamic and well-organized leader who excels in a fast-paced and diverse environment. The Organizing Director is part of the senior leadership team at Jolt and will be charged with developing, managing, and training Jolt’s statewide team of organizers and chapter leaders to register/mobilize voters, win on its issue agenda, and lift up the stories and power of young Latinos in Texas. The Organizing Director will oversee a metrics and data driven department to mobilize young people of color to scale in Texas.
Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Oversee the development and management of the department to ensure alignment
- Support the recruitment, hiring, on-boarding, and retention of departmental staff across Texas
- Modify and implement Jolt’s chapter organizing model to ensure optimum efficiency and impact
- Support chapters to do voter registration on their campuses
- Work collaboratively with senior staff team to craft and manage campaigns, goals, and modify plans as necessary
- Develop and manage leadership pipeline for staff and leaders across Texas
- Identify strategies to mobilize Jolt’s base to advocate on important issues
- Enhance and manage evaluation systems to ensure quality work outputs
- Shape the creation of Jolt’s policy platforms on key issues, including climate change, immigration, gender justice, healthcare, and education
- 3+ years in management/supervisory role
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills; successful at motivating staff to meet goals
- Knowledge of the political and progressive landscape in Texas
- Experience managing and working with high-performing staff and volunteers
- Experience designing, maintaining and improving a goal oriented accountability structure without compromising staff autonomy or innovation
ABILITIES & SKILLS
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously, meeting frequent deadlines
- Ability to motivate teams doing repetitive tasks
- Strong organizational skills, showing attention to detail
- Synthesize information and communicate effectively
- Professional approach to problem solving and the ability to think independently and creatively
- Passion, energy, and drive for the Jolt mission
- Must have access to an insured, reliable vehicle
- Must own a smart phone
REPORTS TO & LOCATION
This full-time position reports to the Deputy Director and will be based out of Dallas, Texas.
Salary commensurate with education and experience. Jolt’s benefit package includes full employer-covered health care, employer match retirement contribution up to 2%, employer-provided life insurance policy, monthly cell phone reimbursement, and 23 paid days off, plus additional benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply please send resume and a cover letter to email@example.com with your name and the job title in the subject line.