Job Announcement Voter Registration Manager
Jolt Initiative 501c3 Houston, TX
POSITION SUMMARY Jolt Initiative, a 501c3 non‐profit organization, works to increase Texas Latino’s civic participation toward building a stronger democracy, ensuring everyone’s voice is heard. Its partner project, Jolt Action is a 501c4 non‐profit organization that builds the political power and influence of Latinos in our democracy.
Jolt Initiative seeks to register 25,000 new voters by the end of 2019. It’s a big task and that’s why we are hiring two Voter Registration Managers (one in Dallas and one in Houston) to oversee this time‐bound, critical campaign.
The Voter Registration Manager will be responsible for hiring and managing canvassers, coordinating with key partners, tracking data and adjusting tactics to meet the campaign’s goals.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
- Recruit, train and mobilize a 5‐person community‐based canvassing team, using best‐practices and creative approaches to identify the right team members
- Use principles of project management to develop scope and strategy for the campaign timeline, understanding the impact of this campaign to larger organizational goals and integrating those goals into the scope
- Manages daily operations of the campaign, including but not limited to:
○ Motivate and inspire a team, leading by one’s own example, committing the time and energy required to meet project goals (including evening & weekend work)
○ Develop or suggest improvements for existing strategies, policies, procedures; create training manuals and/or policies and procedures in support of this project and/or its team member processes
○ Organize and prioritize work processes and schedules for the team; delegate appropriately & effectively
○ Ensure resources are used effectively
○ Collect & analyze data throughout the project & prepare progress reports for key stakeholders, which may include the use of spreadsheets, presentation software or word processing software in the Google suite of products
○ Use problem sensitivity & judgment to identify timely need for corrective actions that may improve progress toward goal achievement
○ Collaborate with key partners to implement corrective actions or innovations that may improve progress toward goal achievement
- Plan, administer and track expenses of project
- Create a volunteer recruitment strategy‐ including training and mobilization‐to supplement the efforts of the paid project team
- Establish & maintain strategic partnerships with other community agencies and organizations, which may enhance JOLT’s visibility or expand its reach to the target audience
- Other duties as assigned
- Previous experience registering voters required
- Strong administrative & management skills, including knowledge of principles of leadership of people, coordination of resources, data reporting and record keeping
- Proficiency in Google Suite of applications
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent time‐management & prioritization for self and teams
- Effective oral and written communication & active listening skills
- Attention to detail; ability to think critically & use deductive reasoning to make connections in information
- Self‐starter; willing to lead by example, committing the time and energy required to meet campaign goals, including working irregular hours and weekends
- Have a diplomatic, professional approach to problem‐solving
- Experience working with underrepresented and/or diverse communities
- Bilingual (English and Spanish), preferred
LOCATION : Dallas, Texas and Houston, Texas ( One full‐time position in each city)
COMPENSATION Jolt Initiative’s benefit package includes full employer‐covered health care, employer match retirement contribution (up to 2% of annual salary), employer‐provided life insurance policy, monthly cell phone allowance, 23 paid days off and more!
This is a full‐time, salaried exempt position. Salary decision will be commensurate with experience within the budgeted range. TO APPLY Please email your resumé and cover letter as one (.pdf) document attachment. Place your name and VR Houston in the subject line. Send application to email@example.com.
Jolt Initiative 501(c)3 and Jolt Action 501(c)4 are equal opportunity employers. It is our policy to provide all qualified applicants consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or legally protected status
ABOUT JOLT Jolt Initiative (Jolt) is a non‐profit, non‐partisan organization that increases the civic participation of Latinos in Texas to build a stronger democracy and ensure that everyone’s voice is heard. Jolt knows that our democracy works best when everyone gets a seat at the table. That’s why Jolt builds the leadership capacity of millennial Latinos to mobilize their peers to action. Jolt lifts up the voices of Latino millennials to tell their own stories through creative acts of resistance, like the Migration is Sweet! selfie station, Poderosa mural , and Quinceanera at the Capitol, which collectively reached over 50 million Americans.
Jolt believes that Texas is poised for change, with a growing and disaffected Latino population. Today, 1 in 3 eligible voters in Texas is Latino and projections indicate that by 2030, Latinos will make up the majority of the state’s population. But demographics alone aren’t destiny. Winning change requires building a homegrown movement and a smart, focused, long‐term strategy that can deliver equality and power to those who are most excluded and often first impacted.
Jolt was founded in November 2016 by Cristina Tzintzun, a nationally recognized civil rights leader. Cristina was named “Hero of the New South” by Southern Living Magazine, and her work has been featured on NPR, Vogue, The New York Times, MTV, USA Today, Univision, MSNBC ’ s Up Late with Alec Baldwin , among others. Jolt is a young organization with big dreams about what is possible in Texas. Our vision has made national headlines and has spurred increased investment into our work‐ which is why we are hiring talented people to join our growing team.