Everything’s bigger in Texas, including the opportunity to bring together millions of Latinos to fight for equality and economic justice. Almost 10.8 million Latinos, making up 40 percent of the total population, reside in Texas. Despite their numbers Latino voices are ignored by the state’s political leadership and have not shared in the state’s prosperity. Today, 60 percent of Latino workers in Texas make less than $15 an hour; the median household income for Latinos is just $37,000, compared to $64,000 for whites; and 27 percent of Latinos don’t have healthcare — the highest rate for any ethnic group in the state.
Today, 1 in 3 eligible voters in the state is Latino, and projections indicate that by 2030 Latinos will make up the majority of the state’s population. With this shift comes the opportunity to organize millions of Latinos to fight for lasting change, but change doesn’t come easy. Although Latino voters make up a large share of the voting population and their numbers will continue to grow, eligible Latinos are also less likely to vote than other Americans. That’s where Jolt comes in.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Conducting prospect research on individual, foundation, and corporate donors
- Maintaining donor and grant databases and files, including calendaring deadlines and logging donations
- Assisting staff with grant application writing and tracking
- Supporting staff with logistics associated with special events, including assisting with creation of invitation list, all logistics, soliciting sponsors, communicating with venue and vendors
- Tracking and evaluating all development efforts
- Strong commitment to social justice and enthusiasm for Jolt’s mission
- High organizational skills and detail oriented
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Positive attitude and eagerness to learn
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner with the team and community contacts
- Computer literate: Word, Internet, and e-mail
- Ability to work independently
- Interest in development and nonprofit management
REPORTS TO & LOCATION
This position reports directly to the Deputy Director. It is preferred that the Development Intern reside in Austin, Texas, though other locations may be considered.
To apply please send your resume with your name and the position in the subject line to email@example.com.