Jolt Initiative is a 501c3 non-profit organization that increases the civic participation of Latinos in Texas to build a stronger democracy and ensure that everyone’s voice is heard. Jolt Action is a 501c4 non-profit organization that builds the political power and influence of Latinos in our democracy. Jolt knows that our democracy works best when everyone gets a seat at the table. That’s why Jolt builds the leadership capacity of millennial Latinos to mobilize their peers to action. Jolt lifts up the voices of Latino millennials to tell their own stories through creative acts of resistance, like the Migration is Sweet! selfie station, Poderosa mural, and Quinceanera at the Capitol, which collectively reached over 50 million Americans.
Jolt believes that Texas is poised for change, with a growing and disaffected Latino population. Today, 1 in 3 eligible voters in Texas is Latino and projections indicate that by 2030, Latinos will make up the majority of the state’s population. But demographics alone aren’t destiny. Winning change requires building a homegrown movement and a smart, focused, long-term strategy that can deliver equality and power to those who are most excluded and often first impacted.
Jolt was founded in November 2016 by Cristina Tzintzun, a nationally recognized civil rights leader. Cristina was named “Hero of the New South” by Southern Living Magazine, and her work has been featured on NPR, Vogue, The New York Times, MTV, USA Today, Univision, MSNBC’s Up Late with Alec Baldwin, among others. Jolt is a young organization with big dreams about what is possible in Texas. Our vision has made national headlines and has spurred increased investment into our work- which is why we are hiring talented people to join our growing team.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Jolt seeks an experienced Development Director to help the organization grow its development program combined budgets of $2.7 million. This is an exciting opportunity to build a fundraising program from the ground up and help our young organization raise the funds necessary to change the way Texas is run. In partnership with the Executive Director, the Development Director will be responsible for building an annual fundraising plan with a focus on individual donor recruitment, cultivation, and stewardship.
Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develop an overarching annual fundraising plan and strategy with specific and measurable goals and objectives
- Design and manage the individual donor program to identify, cultivate, upgrade, and sustain donors at all giving levels
- Cultivate and steward major donors
- Research, write, manage, and report on all foundation and donor table grants
- Actively engage board members and Leadership Council members in development efforts
- Work with the Communications Director to develop donor-focused materials for fundraising, including the annual report, organizational brochures, and other materials as needed
- Implement donor database to keep accurate donation records and ensure donors are promptly and appropriately recognized for their support
- Implement and manage Jolt’s annual fundraising event
- Represent the organization to funders
- Maintain active participation in staff teams: Leadership Team, Finance Team, and Executive Team
- 7+ years of experience in non-profit fundraising and managing budgets of at least $1million
- Experience managing and working with high-performing staff and diverse communities
- Experience designing, maintaining and improving a goal oriented accountability structure without compromising staff autonomy or innovation
- Must hold a Bachelor’s degree or higher education degree
- Familiarity with Google Drive and Microsoft Office Suite
- CFRE preferred
ABILITIES & SKILLS
- Passion, energy, and drive for the Jolt mission
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, meeting frequent deadlines
- Strong communication skills, including persuasive speaking and writing
- Sharp organizational skills, showing attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills
- Systems thinking with ability to synthesize information and communicate effectively
- A track record of effective major donor fundraising for non-profits, preferably in Texas
- Diplomatic, mature approach to problem solving and the ability to think independently and creatively
- Maintain professionalism and strict confidentiality
- Willingness to travel on occasion for Jolt
LOCATION AND START DATE
This position is based in Austin or Dallas, Texas and reports to the Executive Director. Jolt is reviewing resumes on a rolling basis with preference given to applicants who apply by September 15, 2019.
Salary commensurate with education and experience. Jolt’s benefit package includes full employer-covered health care, employer match retirement contribution up to 2%, employer-provided life insurance policy, monthly cell phone reimbursement, and 23 paid days off, plus additional benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your resume and a cover explaining your qualifications and interest in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and the job title in the subject line. Position is open until filled.
Jolt Initiative 501(c)3 and Jolt Action 501(c)4 are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status.