CAMPAIGN ORGANIZING INTERN
Everything’s bigger in Texas, including the opportunity to bring together millions of Latinos to fight for equality and economic justice. Almost 10.8 million Latinos, making up 40 percent of the total population, reside in Texas. Despite their numbers Latino voices are ignored by the state’s political leadership and have not shared in the state’s prosperity. Today, 60 percent of Latino workers in Texas make less than $15 an hour; the median household income for Latinos is just $37,000, compared to $64,000 for whites; and 27 percent of Latinos don’t have healthcare — the highest rate for any ethnic group in the state.
Today, 1 in 3 eligible voters in the state is Latino, and projections indicate that by 2030 Latinos will make up the majority of the state’s population. With this shift comes the opportunity to organize millions of Latinos to fight for lasting change, but change doesn’t come easy. Although Latino voters make up a large share of the voting population and their numbers will continue to grow, eligible Latinos are also less likely to vote than other Americans. That’s where Jolt comes in.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Support and help manage Jolt volunteers across Texas
- Support Jolt field staff by helping organize and coordinate voter registration and other events across Texas
- Plan events like voter registration drives (often remotely) with on-the-ground Jolt volunteers
- Support special projects, events, and Jolt teams as needed
- Strong commitment to social justice and enthusiasm for Jolt’s mission
- High organizational skills and detail oriented
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Self-motivated, fast, independent learner
- Voter registration experience is a plus
It is preferred that the Campaign Organizing Intern reside in Austin or Dallas, though other locations may be considered.
To apply please send your resume with your name and the position in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.