Jolt harnesses the power of Latino culture to empower young Latinos and transform Texas.
We believe young Latinos will transform Texas through the power of their vote. We are harnessing the brilliance of our community and culture to build a generation of leaders that matches the urgency of our time.
What We Strive For
Jolt gives Latinos the power to make change, so we can have a say in how Texas is run. There are almost 11 million Latinos in Texas. Together, we have the power to transform our state.
Jolt brings together Latinos from across Texas to win on the issues that matter. Jolt doesn’t stand for any one party or politician — it stands for the Latino community, families, and parents who worked hard to give their children everything they didn’t have.
Here’s how we do it.
Jolt organizes our community to determine what happens on school boards, in the state legislature, at the Governor’s mansion and all the way to Congress and White House to make sure our government works best for ordinary people. We accomplish this through:
TELLING OUR STORIES
Jolt brings artists and musicians together to lift up issues and voices in the Latino community, and share stories of how everyday people in the community are coming together to build a stronger democracy.
Jolt members endorse candidates up and down the ballot to determine who gets elected, and conduct year-round issue advocacy to engage voters on the issues that matter most to them.
Jolt’s Levantate Leadership Institute provides training to Latino youth on public speaking, advocacy, digital organizing and mobilization so that they can be effective leaders for their community.
COMMUNITY AND STUDENT ORGANIZING
Jolt helps young people form student chapters at high schools and college campuses to organize around the issues that matter to them and to register their peers to vote.
About the Opportunity
Jolt seeks a Senior Policy Analyst to promote state policy agenda designed to protect the Latino community. The Senior Policy Analyst will lead and be responsible for Jolt’s Climate Justice portfolio amongst other core areas. The Senior Policy Analyst must have a deep understanding of complex public programs, projects and studies affecting our communities and be able to develop policy solutions that center Latino workers and families.
Key Priorities & Responsibilities
- Conduct state legislative analysis and develop solutions that are community informed;
- Prepare federal policy briefs, fact sheets, and all other policy publications related to climate and other core areas
- Track and analyze legislation at the local, state, and federal level to determine potential impact on and relevance to
- Serve as a key point person and expert with State legislative staff, coalition partners, and other stakeholders to advance policies and legislation relating to Climate Change and other core areas.
- Initiate and maintain relationships with members of state legislature and their staff and executive branch officials and their staff to provide input into priorities and to build support for Jolt’s priority issues in the Legislature and the Administration;
- Identify national policy trends, data, and advocacy opportunities to key departments within Jolt to advance the Jolt’s policy priorities;
- Serve as a spokesperson for the organization;
- Track and record all lobbying efforts in a timely manner; and
- Develop internal workplans, track progress towards goals, and report activities and outcomes with key members of Jolt
- Masters Degree from accredited college or university and at least 2 years’ experience in federal and/or state government relations;
- At least two years of experience in legislative and administrative policy development and advocacy experience in a nonprofit advocacy organization;
- Excellent analytical, writing, speaking, and advocacy skills;
- Outstanding organizational and communications skills, including ability to work independently and as part of a team with staff at all levels;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently and remain composed and focused under pressure;
- Experience in coalition building and building relationships with a variety of stakeholders a must;
- Demonstrated ability to use an intersectionality framework to advance policy solutions;
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in Spanish preferred;
- Knowledge of climate justice and related social justice issues preferred.
Jolt honors transparency and will provide employment benefit information to candidates who are invited to the second interview stage of the hiring process so that all candidates can make an informed decision. Benefits do include employer covered health care, retirement plan, life insurance, paid time off, plus additional benefits.
Jolt offers a salary that is competitive with industry standards.
Equal Employment Statement
Jolt Initiative 501(c)3 and Jolt Action 501(c)4 are equal opportunity employers. It is Jolt’s policy to comply with all federal, state, and local equal employment opportunity laws and regulations relating to employees or applicants relating to advertising, recruitment, employment, compensation, promotion, transfer, termination of employment, training and conditions of employment regardless of race, color, gender, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, sexual orientation/expression/identity, genetic information or disability. It is Jolt’s policy to also comply with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
Please submit a letter of interest, resume, and three references, of which three must be considered professional, to email@example.com. In the subject line, please include “JOLT Senior Policy Analyst.”